18 Jan Real people get hurt
The Labor Wire
President Donald Trump should stop playing politics with our livelihoods and get out of the way as responsible lawmakers work toward a deal to keep vital government services, extend the Children’s Health Insurance Program and protect immigrants, including nearly 1 million brought to America as children. Enough with the shutdowns! Working people want progress!
Message of the Day—Real People Get Hurt!
Instead of more political chaos, Americans are rightly demanding that our elected leaders keep the government open, protect immigrant workers and fund a bipartisan program for children’s health care.
Federal government shutdowns are dangerous and costly. The last time Congress shut down the government for 16 days in 2013, it caused 120,000 fewer jobs to be created in the private sector.
Additional fallout from the 2013 government shutdown included:
- Hundreds of cancer patients who couldn’t enroll in clinical trials.
- Delayed food inspections by the Food and Drug Administration.
- The Environmental Protection Agency stopped cleanup at 62% of superfund sites.
- Veterans with disabilities who couldn’t make benefit claims.
- Head Start programs that shut their doors.
Kitchen Table Economics
122: That’s how many DACA recipients lose work permits and risk getting fired and deported every day that Congress fails to pass a fix for immigrants brought to America as children.
Source: The Labor Wire, AFL-CIO